Keysight Keysight UXR 110GHz BW, 256GS/s, 10-bit, 4-Channel Real-Time Oscilloscope Teardown & Experiments

In this episode Shahriar takes a look at one of the most advanced electrical test and measurement instruments ever created. The Keysight UXR-Series Real-Time Oscilloscope brings 110GHz of analog bandwidth and 256GS/s real-time sampling at 4-channels simultaneously. To make it even more impressive, the entire data-conversion architecture is in 10-bits. This implies that the instruments captures, processes, stores and displays over 10Tb/s of information.

Various architectures of state-of-the art oscilloscopes from Keysight, LeCroy and Tektronix are examined and compared against the new real-time architecture of the UXR-Series oscilloscope. The teardown of the front-end 110GHz module along with the data acquisition board is presented and analyzed in detail. The instrument showcases a wide range of Keysight technologies implemented in various technologies such as InP, SiGe BiCMOS, 65nm CMOS and 28nm CMOS nodes. In combination with Hyper-Cube memory module, data can be captured at 256GS/S from all 4-channels at the same time. Several variants of the UXR-Series oscilloscope will be available from 13GHz to 110GHz bandwidths.

A new calibration probe is also introduced based on the Keysight InP process capable of producing signal edges with sub-3.5ps of rise/fall times with NIST traceable calibration data. This enables users to perform NIST alignment and bandwidth calibration on site without needing to send the instrument back to Keysight.

Several measurements with the scope demonstrates its extraordinarily low noise floor, jitter as well as the capability of the new probe module for instrument calibration. The 110GHz 4-channel variant of the UXR-Series oscilloscope has an MSRP of $1.3 Million US dollars.

1. Gerry Blyth says:

Fantastic tour and very well presented. 110GHz and 256Gs/S – who’d a thunk!

2. Mike Pettus says:

Kudos to your review – extremely well done. And of course, kudos to the Keysight engineering team. When I think about the design challenges and barriers, and then the well thought out approach in the application of of the appropriate semiconductor process technologies at each stage, I’m thoroughly impressed. As an engineer who deals with the physics of millimeter wave RF and high-speed digital, this instrument exceeds what I thought possible.

Thank you for a great evaluation of a fantastic technology!

Mike

3. Robert Parker says:

This is one beautiful piece of Engineering.

4. Joseph Dengel says:

Great overview of the signal path and technologies – probably endless hours of frustration in designing such a high-performance instrument. I remain in awe of mankind’s advances since my first o-scope as a boy was a used 4.5 MHz BW EICO-460! NNNN

5. R.A. Benson says:

Well done by all concerned. Truly impressive.

I am not holding my breath to see this on eBay anytime soon 🙂

6. Tom Phillips says:

Great video. I intended to just view the highlights, but it was so compelling that I watched the entire thing. Thanks for discussing the IC technologies used at each stage, including the calibration device. I also liked the noise measurement with nothing connected. It reminds me of a classic Joel Woodward video for other scopes.

7. ServiceManagerSid says:

Hey, great video on an amazing instrument. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insight. Didn’t understand much of it, but endlessly fascinating…

8. Christer Holmlund says:

Wow!
    Again, a fantastic video about a fantastic piece of equipment. At the end you show a couple of ENOB graphs. ENOB is something many of us talk about, but few of us actually understand. Perhaps you could make a little episode about ENOB, not only for scopes, but for ADCs in general. And how nature sets limits as we try to see very small signals with a wide bandwidth. Cf. the noise of a 50 ohm resistance from 0 to 113 GHz. Why do we actually want a high ENOB? What does the ENOB curve look like for a scope with bad distortion? And of course, “I payed over 1 M$ for this 10-bit scope and now it gives me only 5.5 bits!” So, an “ENOB for dummies” video would be interesting. I guess you would not need a UXR for demonstrations 😉

Thanks for the great signal path!

Christer