In this episode Shahriar takes a close look at the top-of-the-line Rigol DSA875-TG 7.5GHz Spectrum Analyzer. This unit which, offers a built in tracking generator for the full frequency range, has a portable form-factor. I offers the following performance:
- 9 kHz to 7.5 GHz Frequency Range
- Typical -161 dBm Displayed Average Noise Level (DANL) normalized to 1 Hz
- -98 dBc/Hz @10 kHz offset Phase Noise
- Total Amplitude Uncertainty <0.8 dB
- 10 Hz Minimum Resolution Bandwidth (RBW)
The unit is tested against linearity specification as well as overload conditions. The phase noise of the unit is also verified with an external Keysight synthesizer. The instrument is used to measure OIP3, P1dB input and output matching of various amplifiers. The tracking generator is also used to measure gain and switching behavior of a WiFi extender module. The built-in functions are used to measure OBW, channel power, ACP and THD. The teardown of the unit is also presented showing excellent build quality and manufacturing.