9-DoF AHRS Sensor Board and RGB LED Matrix Demo

RGB Matrix

In this (experimental) episode Shahriar demonstrates two embedded-electronic circuits available for purchase from Sparkfun Electronics. The demos illustrate some of the capabilities of these circuits along with a short instruction on how to interface and operate them. All the code for the AHRS demo and the RGB Matrix demo are available to download.

The first demo is of a 9-degree of freedom (9-DoF) sensor board equipped with three dimension of linear acceleration (accelerometer), angular acceleration (gyroscope) and magnetometer. Using the combined information from these sensors an Attitude and Heading Reference System (AHRS) data can be extracted. The demo shows this system in action using customized Matlab functions.

The second demo demonstrates the ease of use of an RGB LED Matrix equipped with an SPI interface. A sample C code written for a Microchip PIC18F2455 is used to draw some simple animations.

This is an experimental episode to judge the level of interest in these type of demo videos. Please leave feedback!

1. hardware_guy says:

Great video. I’m a hardware guy, and have been trying to get into the software side of things. I have had a difficult time finding the right way to learn. It would be great if you could make some videos on software and embedded design.

2. Servo Stabilizer. This is right place for Servo Stabilizer Delhi and Servo Voltage Stabilizer. The Servo Stabilizer uses an advanced electronic servo-motor concept to control a motorized variable transformer.

3. Phil says:

Thank you for this video. Working mostly in software development I’ve just started to explore more with hardware and coincidentally ordered both of these units, along with and Arduino, to experiment with. Would definitely enjoy seeing more videos on embedded code circuits.

4. QueezyTheGreat says:

Hi, first of all great videos, the quality is excellent!

I’ve been looking for such videos about electronics. I do have to say that this video was less interesting to me, than all your previous videos. I’m a software engineering, just getting into electronics. For me the most interesting content is about circuit design and analysis, and detailed product reviews. The digital side of electronics I understand pretty well as it is very close to my profession, so I rather see more analogue than digital (ie. less programming more electronics).

Also I think the content length should be longer, than shorter in order to fully explain the content in detail, but that might be my personal preference. This video for me was a little bit short, I would have loved to have the hardware, or the theory behind AHRS (both hardware and mathematics) explained in more detail.

Anyway, great videos, and keep up the excellent work. I can’t wait for the next video, and I hope there will be a permanent schedule (so I know when check the site for new content).

Queezy

5. Andrew says:

I find your videos very interesting, however I enjoyed your previous videos more than this one. I can’t speak for anyone else on this site, but after four years of electrical engineering, I’m very familiar with embedded electronics. An in-depth look at how the display works would be nice, but I really like to see useful circuit analyses (like the ignition coil demo, nixie tube driver, and camera flash circuit) that teach me new tricks and design ideas I have not seen before.

Keep up the great work!

6. rfarrelly says:

I would definitely like to see more embedded electronics related videos, it is my favourite subject as a student. The huge feats of engineering that can be achieved with a few backflips of C code and minimal hardware are amazing.

7. Daniel says:

Hi Shahriar,

i also would like to know more about those LED matrix controllers. Thanks for the awesome videos!
    Daniel

8. pete says:

Yes, I would be interested in learning more about the RGB LED Matrix controller particularly the role of those level shifters you mention. Also, it would seem that the more matrices you link together the slower the updates. Wonder what the limit is before the switching become noticeable.

9. traxonja says:

You could make a really nice balancing robot with that AHRS sensor board… It could be a *very* good intro into various filters and PID controllers. I don’t think I have seen that kind of tutorial anywhere, especially on Youtube. Oh yes, and THIS is how SparkFun products should be explained in future.

10. Armin says:

Hi Shahriar!

I very much like your videos and would apreciate it if you could go into more detail explaining the functions of the different modules.

Armin

11. SteveW says:

I have watched all of your video posts, and enjoy them very much. Your videos are exactly what I seek on the internet, and find them immensely valuable for what I need to know. This particular “product” investigation is also something I would like to see more of…

Thanks for making this knowledge available!!

Steve (Mechanical Engineer)

12. eagle_vis says:

The multiplexing walkthrough idea is quite nice, but an in-depth explanation of charlieplexing would be really awsome. I never really could wrap my head around more complex implementations of charlieplexing.